Roasted Pepper Salad with Feta, Pine Nuts & Basil
This Roasted pepper recipe is great fun to make and kids love it! Servings: 4
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 25 Minutes
- 4 bell peppers (any combination of red, yellow or orange), halved, seeded and cored
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 small garlic clove, minced
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon seasalt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (you can add more to your liking)
- 2 ounces (a scant 1/2 cup) crumbled Feta (or less)
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives
- Preheat the broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the pepper halves on the prepared baking sheet and broil for 5-10 minutes until well charred. Remove the peppers from the oven and place in a bowl; cover tightly with plastic wrap (so they steam) and let cool until luke warm.
- Peel the skin from the peppers (do not rinse under water) and cut into 3/4-inch strips. Place back in the bowl; add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, 2 tablespoons of the basil, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add the pine nuts and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 4 minutes. Immediately transfer the nuts to a small bowl to stop the cooking process. (Pay close attention: they go from perfectly golden to totally burnt quickly.)
- Transfer the marinated peppers to a serving dish and top with the feta, olives, toasted pine nuts and remaining tablespoon basil (do not toss). Garnish with whole basil leaves if desired.
Kale is one of the Super foods discussed in my book, Fabulous Foods For Health and Healing and one of my favorite veggies!
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes (slice small)
1 1/2 pounds young kale, stems and leaves coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
1/2 cup chicken stock (use water if you are sodium conscious)
Salt and pepper
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sun dried tomatoes and cook until soft. The garlic should be slightly colored. Raise heat to high, add the stock and kale and toss to combine. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove cover and continue to cook, stirring until all the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add vinegar.